11 January 2009

Being Erica

Being Erica is the latest addition to CBC's television broadcast season. As actress Erin Karpluk (Erica Strange) describes the comedy drama series, Being Erica is My Name is Earl meets Pretty in Pink meets Back to the Future meets Sex and the City.

After losing her job and breaking up with her boyfriend, 30 something Erica is approached by the mysterious Dr. Tom (Michael Riley) with the proposition of going back in time to fix her list of regrets. Set in a slightly stylized but believable Toronto landscape, the suspension of disbelief required for time travel doesn't take away from the authentic experience of Being Erica. After you get past the fact that it's a well made Canadian show, you can enjoy the common experience of regret. We've all got a few.

I'm certain I am anything but the intended audience of this series, but I can feel the approach of my own regrets creeping up on me. Not yet out of university, the impending doom of not having the one I love by my side or knowing where the hell all of this is heading resonates with me in Being Erica.

Erin Karpluk spoke with Jian Ghomeshi on the Thursday January 8th edition of Q the podcast.

Click HERE to watch the Being Erica pilot

0 COMMENTS :

Post a Comment