14 February 2010

My John Mayer Experience

I've often said that John Mayer's lyrics resonate so well because of their conversational nature. He juxtaposes simple phrases you've said before with sprawling melodies and powerful musical arrangements. And it is in that juxtaposition we forget how simple the lyrics really are. When you subtract the horn section and the base beat, you realize his words have issued from your own lips. John is just clever enough to sing 'Go cry about it why don't you' and pair it with a guitar solo.

Then clever conversation gets you in trouble. John Mayer's racially charged comments in a recent Playboy interview gained all the attention in the week leading up to the tickets I held in my hand. Sixth row tickets to the Battle Studies World Tour Saturday night. Apologizing for the comments at his Nashville concert on Wednesday, Mayer suggested a resolution: Time to stop being so clever all the time and just play guitar.

On Saturday night he played his guitar.

A well rounded set list of Battle Studies jams and old reliable tunes included a Steve Jordan drum solo and an epic Half Of My Heart / All You Need is Love / Fleetwood Mac Dreams medley marathon. A medley so deep and driven he broke his resolution. He stopped playing guitar and was clever for a moment: 'You can't think your way through love. You can't think your way through love. You can't think your way through love.' And it got me to thinking, this was a nice bit of advice from a clever conversational singer songwriter who's learned a lot over the last seven days.

Happy Valentines Day M.

Click HERE for my John Mayer photography

8 COMMENTS :

Jack-Wee said...

These photos are amazing!! Thanks for getting my even more psyched for the concert tonight!

BC said...

Very well written sir.

Wish I could have seen him in concert again!

Love you pal

Unknown said...

Describes the night very well.
Couldn't have been a better concert.
Happy Valentines Day.
Love M

Anonymous said...

What kind of camera did you use and did you have any problems getting it into the venue? I want to take my Nikon SLR but not sure if they will let me in with it.

Unknown said...

The camera was nothing special at all which made the great pictures all the more surprising. Maybe 3 pixels?

We had no problem getting the camera into the venue and despite the 'no flash photography' signage we weren't stopped by any of the staff. I think John Mayer's liberal media policies trump that kind of thing.

The best tip I can offer is to not use the flash. We took all the pictures in black and white with no flash. Plenty of out of focus images but a lot of great ones too.

Best luck! I'd love to see your pictures!

Anonymous said...

We are going to 2 shows and have very different seats for both. We will be sitting on the sides for the show in St. Paul so I'd like to use a zoom lens. We are 7th row centre on the floor for the Winnipeg show so I'm sure I can get some great shots at that one! I'll be sure to post some pics!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you'll be able to get some excellent shots from both vantage points! Looking forward to seeing and hearing about your experience.

And thanks very much for reading my blog. I hope you'll continue!

D I X O N

D I X O N said...

Sounds like you'll be able to get some excellent shots from both vantage points! Looking forward to seeing and hearing about your experience.

And thanks very much for reading my blog. I hope you'll continue!

D I X O N

Post a Comment