29 November 2008

Your New Favorite Band: Nas

I think I've enjoyed rap and hip hop longer than any other genre of music. No. I know that. Most long standing interests in my life find their roots in my brother and you can trace hip hop straight back to him. He's the reason my life includes a brief period as a breakdancer and a DJ. Jeff paid me in hockey cards to memorize lines of the Tribe Called Quest song Excursions. I was probably six years old. Building the song line by line I compiled a generous stack of hockey cards. Learning 'Back in the day when I was a teenager / Before I had status and before I had a pager' would get you a Steve Larmer and an Al MacInnis. Now the song is burned into my brain. It's one of my most important artifacts. Thank god. Jeff gave me hip hop. So now my adult self can be keen about the idea of The Roots being Jimmy Fallon's Late Night house band. Or when a new Nas song drops, I respond. And I use the word 'drop.' And my friends say, 'you don't seem like the hip hop type of guy to me.'

Thanks to Mr. West, you can download Nas's new song Something Foul for free.

Clicke HERE to download the MP3...

0 COMMENTS :

Post a Comment