27 September 2009

Graceland

Paul Simon's 1986 album Graceland is like a missing piece of my heart. Now that I've found it I won't let it go. Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes was my entry point into this incredible record. Merci Jam Nite. The South African influenced project was inspired by an instrumental cassette passed on to Simon in 1984 called Gumboots. The liner notes describe how he collaborated with a series of South African musicians to carefully craft each track. Ladysmith Black Mambazo found their own international recognition after their involvement with Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes. The album reads like a storybook. Thoughtfully produced and now the soundtrack to everything I do. Graceland is the shoulders that Vampire Weekend stands on. No wonder I dig it. You will too.

Click HERE to preview Graceland on iTunes

3 COMMENTS :

the roomie said...

and everybody would know EXACTLY what I was talking about.

going to give it a good listen soon.
love you pal.

Sio said...

I would never have thought you just experienced the "Graceland" album. So shocking!It's been on my radar for years!

You can call me Al.

Sio said...

I would never have thought you just experienced the "Graceland" album. So shocking!It's been on my radar for years!

You can call me Al.

Post a Comment