26 December 2008

The Sergio Leone Anthology

After giving The Sergio Leone Anthology to myself as an early Christmas present, I now own about three copies of each movie it includes. I'm a sucker for packaging. The set includes A Fistful of Dollars (1964), For a Few Dollars More (1965), The Good the Bad and the Ugly (1966), and Duck You Sucker (1971) all in double disc format. That's why I had to pass on the joy to my movie buff partner in crime DB. You have to hold this anthology in your hands and smile everytime you see its spine sticking out from your shelf. It's just that good. Trust me.

These films by Italian director Sergio Leone, are some of the best ever made. Introduced to me about 7 years ago, I knew I would spend the rest of my life loving them. They are the definition of the Western genre. And for the modest $15,000 he was paid for A Fistful of Dollars, they made Clint Eastwood a superstar.

1 COMMENTS :

Anonymous said...

I consider myself a movie buff, and one thing I really enjoy about films is when you can notice a director's style during a film.

Sergio Leone definately shows off his style in his films and does a fantastic job of it. Just looking at the front cover of the anthology makes me want to watch the movies again.

Leone made quite the set of films with these Westerns. I own "The Man With No Name" trilogy which includes: A fistful of dollars, a few dollars more, and the good, the bad, and the ugly, and when the anthology was released, I refrained from its purchase because I didn't feel too strongly about "Duck you sucker" as I did about the other three films.

Maybe someday though, I might just purchase it in respect for Leone, so that I can smile while I see it gleaming in the light along with the rest of my collection.

Post a Comment